The Old White Bear
We are a family run traditional village pub serving great locally sourced food which is cooked to order and excellent local ales from Naylors.
The Old White Bear is the oldest building in the village Cross Hills and was built in 1735. It has previously been a hotel, a brothel, a council meeting place and a dance hall. The council met frequently here to discuss the Leeds and Liverpool canal and decided where to cut through the land here! It has also been the site for White Bear and Naylors breweries. Naylors brewery is now situated less than half a mile away and is always on pump.
Some of the beams used to build the pub are believed to come from a naval ship which took part in the battles against The Spanish Armada called “The Old White Bear” hence the name! The building is full of character, most of which has been collected over the years by the locals. The building itself has walls 24inches thick which is possibly why it is still going strong!
There are two real fires which come to life in winter and a sun-trap beer garden for the summer. We also have a darts and doms team (who won the league in 2009) and we are one of only 3 pubs in Craven to have the traditional ‘Ring the Bull‘ game.